Lab Manager - Motion Capture Lab
The AIT lab at ETH Zurich seeks an experienced Lab Manager and Scientist to build up and head our novel Volumetric Motion Capture facility.
The AIT group focuses on the forefront of human-centric computer vision. To advance these efforts, we are building a state-of-the-art 3D motion capture platform based on a massive multi-view camera system to record and reconstruct the detailed 3D geometry of humans and scenes with high spatial and temporal resolution. The data-capture facility will be also accessible to other groups of the Department of Computer Science at ETH Zurich and the ETH AI Center, serving a variety of multidisciplinary projects. This lab will be an important building block in advancing cutting-edge research in computer vision, computer graphics, HCI, biomechanics, and beyond.
We are looking for a highly motivated and collaborative lab manager to join our team. You will be primarily responsible for maintaining and developing the lab, managing the team’s laboratory processes, and supervising the day-to-day lab operations of the Motion Capture facility. You will collaborate with group members on their projects, train and mentor laboratory members, and work closely with the PIs to develop and plan new research projects. Secondarily, you will have a range of research opportunities that are also possible and encouraged, like grant and manuscript writing, teaching, and attending and presenting at conferences.
The principal duties and responsibilities of this position:
- Facility Initial Setting Up and Plan for Extensions:
- Coordinate with vendors, propose purchase decisions and be responsible for budget management.
- Coordinate with team members the installation and testing operations.
- Assist with the development of the next generation of capturing technologies and their application in disciplines beyond computer vision, such as VR/AR, haptics, and human-robotics interaction.
- Explore and lead the integration of new sensing technologies with our systems, ensuring high-accuracy calibration and synchronization between the systems.
- Facility Operation:
- Work with colleagues in evaluating and developing technical procedures and protocols, devising, troubleshooting, and conducting data capture experiments.
- Lead the operation of the facility: assign, coordinate, and oversee the daily capture activities. This includes maintaining, developing, redesigning, and reconfiguring different machine vision capture systems.
- Point of contact for the feasibility evaluation of new projects, providing guidance and feedback to lab users on achieving project goals. Advise investigators on designing human data capture projects in compliance with ETH regulations.
- Monitor the use of the facility resources and their assignments, like computation time and stage access, ensuring different partner labs have harmonious access.
- Monitor users and support team dynamics to ensure optimal performance, identify training needs and facilitate conflict resolution.
- Organize lab meetings, including assisting lab members with compiling and organizing results.
- Provide laboratory orientations and coordinate onboarding of new lab members.
- Be responsible for the financial aspects of the laboratory operation, including internal budget management, ordering equipment, service-related price calculation, and approval management.
- Cooperate with research groups within the ETH domain and other international universities as well as with industrial partners and/or other public institutions in projects involving the facility.
- Contribute to writing, editing, and dissemination with 3D avatars, images, and videos in the lab manuscripts, proposals, reports, etc.
- Depending on the specific needs and scope of the facility projects, get involved as a scientific collaborator (co-author), assisting the full project life span.
- Optional: contributing to teaching; supervising, and co-supervising students at all levels (Bs, M.Sc, PhD); and attending formal training courses in technical, scientific, and management.
You will be passionate about technology, collaboration, communication, and science. You must be self-motivated and enthusiastic to contribute to ambitious, cutting-edge research in experimental computer vision and volumetric data capture. You will have considerable freedom in running the lab and contributing to research.
- PhD with 4+ years of job experience.
- Strong practical expertise in lab management in academia or industry with experience in electronics systems. Exceptional organizational, time management, and critical thinking skills; lab notebook practices and attention to detail are essential.
- Hands-on technical expertise in setting up and handling volumetric video capture systems is a must.
- Basic experience in programming and scripting, IT support, and troubleshooting. Knowledge of running physics simulations is a big plus.
- Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Highly proficient in written and spoken English. German is a plus.
- Experience and interest in mentoring students.
- Successful track record in scientific writing (papers, fellowships, grants) and presenting (conference talks). Research areas such as motion capture systems, robotics, and haptics are a big plus.
ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Cover letter
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Institute for Intelligent Interactive Systems can be found on our website. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Dr. Otmar Hilliges, email (firstname.lastname@example.org) (no applications).
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.