Laboratory Technician in Cellular and Molecular Biology
The Molecular Medicine research laboratory of Prof. Dr. med Yohei Yamauchi recently relocated to the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (IPW) within the Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences (D-CHAB) of ETH Zurich at the Hönggerberg campus. We are interested in how pathogenic respiratory viruses influenza A virus (and SARS-CoV-2) manipulate host cell functions, processes and pathways to promote virus cell entry and establish infection. One of our key goals is to use a mechanistic understanding of virus infection biology to develop new antiviral strategies. We are also interested in designing virus-inspired protein cages for cargo delivery into cells.
We are a collaborative and interdisciplinary group of scientists with a good team spirit. Techniques of primary importance are cell biology, virology, molecular biology, light and electron microscopy, protein purification and biochemistry. Important internal and external collaborations existing for proteomics and structural biology.
You will be working together in an international and multidisciplinary team under the lab manager in a newly renovated laboratory. You are expected to support the group’s scientific efforts and contribute to the ongoing research on virus infection biology and capsidology. In addition, you will contribute to the implementation of core laboratory equipment, laboratory organisation and novel assay development. Furthermore, you will be an organized individual with a professional attitude and good social skills.
Your tasks will include but may not be limited to the following:
- Tissue culture (predominantly BSL2)
- Virology, such as cell infection assays, plaque assays, virus propagation (cells and chicken eggs), reverse genetics
- Molecular biology, such as PCR, qPCR, Western blot, molecular cloning, protein purification, Gene editing (CRISPR/Cas) and RNA interference (RNAi)
- Light microscopy (including super-resolution microscopy) and electron microscopy (assistance with imaging and sample preparation)
- Assisting general lab duties (e.g. organisational tasks, common reagent preparation, lab management and maintenance of hygiene standards)
- Basic data analysis and documentation of experimental procedures and results
- Operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment and facilities, ordering of laboratory materials, management of lab inventory
- Role as deputy safety officer and biosafety officer (BSL2)
- Evaluation and implementation of new lab equipment
- Actively participate in lab meetings. Contribute to team building.
- Report to team and lab head
You are a team player and you have an awareness of responsibility and quality. You are also open to learning, proactive and flexible.
- A qualification in biology lab technician or similar subject area qualification (eg. B.Sc. degree or equivalent) and practical experience in industry or academia.
- Expertise with standard molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR, qPCR, Western blot, molecular cloning, gene editing and RNAi, protein purification)
- Expertise with tissue culture
- Expertise with BSL2 work
- Expertise with reagent preparation
- Good knowledge in the MS Office suite (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Good communication skills in English
Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
- A multidisciplinarity research environment
- Excellent working conditions
- A highly motivated team with a collaborative spirit
We value diversity
In line with our values
, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application including the following documents:
- A letter of motivation
- A full CV
- Work certificates
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Institute of Pharmaceutical Science (IPW) can be found on our website https://chab.ethz.ch/en/research/institutes/IPW.html.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Dr. med. Yohei Yamauchi: email@example.com, or Dr Roger Meier: firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.